Call is closed! Young Practitioners and Scholars Essay Competition 2022
The Editorial Committee of the European Investment Law and Arbitration Review invites original, unpublished, high quality submissions for the Young Practitioners and Scholars Essay Competition 2022.
The essay competition is open to all practitioners, scholars and students from around the world.
To be eligible, authors must at the time of submission:
- have a PQE of 7 years of less (e.g., Year of Call 2013 or more recent); or
- be enrolled in a law degree course such as an LLB, JD, BCL, LLM, PhD, DPhil (or local equivalents).
Authors are free to choose the topic of their essay to the extent that it relates to EU investment law and arbitration, including one of the topics in the Call for Papers for this issue:
- The impact of the Agreement for the Termination of BITs between the Member States of the EU for non-EU investors and for non-EU domestic courts
- The developments at the UNCITRAL WG III on ISDS reforms
- Covid 19 and its impact on investment law and arbitration
- The EU and the reform of the Energy Charter Treaty
- Ireland and its post-Brexit position in investment law
- Investment protection standards under existing EU law
- Trends and new developments in EU trade and investment treaty policy (e.g. Foreign Investment Screening mechanisms, Investment Facilitation)
- Human rights and EU investment law and arbitration
- Climate change and EU investment law and arbitration
- The impact of the Treaty of Lisbon on EU investment law, 10 years on
All submissions should be between 5,000 and 12,000 words, inclusive of footnotes. Co-authored submissions are permissible.
All submissions should be in English and must be in conformity with the Review’s house style, which is available here: EILAR Style Guide update Feb 2021
Examples of previously published articles in the Review can be found below.
The deadline for submission is: closed.
Submissions are to be emailed as an attached Word document to email@example.com, with the subject “Submission for EILAR Essay Competition 2022”.
Winners will be chosen by the Editorial Committee of the Review. The Editorial Committee reserves the right not to award any prize if they conclude that no essay of sufficiently high academic quality has been submitted.
The winning submission and the runner-up submission will be published in the Review.
In addition, the following prizes will be awarded:
- First prize: EUR 500 worth of books sponsored by Brill / Nijhoff
- Second prize: EUR 250 worth of books sponsored by Brill / Nijhoff
- Third prize: EUR 150 cash sponsored by Norton Rose Fulbright, London
All winners will receive a complimentary pass to the 2023 EFILA Annual Conference.
Download the flyer here: Young Practitioners Essay competition call 2022
Examples of published submissions in the 2021 issue:
Example of an article: EILA_6_Ch01_Nikos Lavranos and Ahmed Mazlom published version
Example of a case-note: EILA_6_Ch10_Anina Liebkind Fredrik Norburg Ossian Dittmer Hvarfner published version
Example of a book review: EILA_6_Ch17_Jennifer Lim published version